SHOPShop

History

The Journalists’ Charity started in 1864 when a group of parliamentary journalists met in a London pub to set up a fund to help their colleagues and dependants who had fallen on hard times. In the days before state benefits, grants were made to meet the costs of providing some of the necessities of life.

The charity’s original name – still its registered name for legal purposes – was the Newspaper Press Fund. A leading founder supporter was the author Charles Dickens.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll is our patron

The Journalists’ Charity today
In 2005, the charity changed its working name to Journalists’ Charity, to signal its mission as the leading provider of charitable help to journalists working in all branches of the media.

Today we are seeking to widen the scope of the charity’s work to bring in more broadcasters, magazine journalists as well as the next generation of journalists who are employed on websites and other branches of the electronic news media

Ambassadors

man-2
Anna Botting
NICK_R
Nick Robinson
man-5
Alastair Campbell
man-4
Huw Edwards
man-3
Richard Littlejohn
JULIE-ETCHINGHAM
Julie Etchingham

Our Sponsors